Did you know that women only represent about 26% of the entire tech industry?
It’s not just the low numbers that are cause for concern. Underrepresentation can lead to women’s voices, opinions, and ideas being ignored. The problems that women face in the tech industry and the overall workplace, regardless of industry, are often barriers that impede women from pursuing and finding fulfilling careers.
The Current State for Women
Here are some startling stats about women in tech and the general workplace:
- Half of women who enter the tech field drop out by the age of 35.
- 50% of women said they had experienced gender discrimination at work.
- Only 8% of women of color surveyed said it is “easy” for them to thrive, compared to 21% of all women.
- 40% of women leaders say they go unrecognized for carrying more responsibilities around supporting employee well-being and inclusion.
- 55% of black women leaders are more likely to have their competence questioned by colleagues.
- Half of U.S. families report difficulty finding childcare.
- 1/3 of parents in part-time jobs said they would work more hours if they had more affordable and reliable childcare.
- 23% of working moms have turned down a promotion because they were balancing work and parenting responsibilities.
OnActuate recognizes that the tech industry has an opportunity to improve. There is a gap between men and women, not just through representation, but through discrimination and barriers. That’s why it is not enough to just increase our diversity, inclusion, and equity (DEI) statistics, but also create tangible actions that benefit women in the industry. Discover OnActuate’s core values.
Introducing The SHE Initiative
The SHE (Share Her Excellence) Initiative is a program that champions women in tech with actionable goals and steps. This initiative by OnActuate seeks to eliminate the barriers that women face in the workplace and ensure women get the support they need to excel in their careers.
At OnActuate, we passionately embrace SHE within our three pillars: Inspire, Deliver, Excellence. This initiative aims to inspire women in tech, fulfill our commitment to gender diversity through active hiring and development, and cultivate a workplace culture that champions women in their career pursuits.
Some of these steps include:
- A mentorship program connecting women of OnActuate with women leaders to help support their growth and nurture their leadership abilities.
- Encouraging individual growth and development through a strong professional development program.
- Allowing flexible schedules for all team members, helping ensure that working parents can prioritize both their careers and childcare responsibilities in a way that fits their lives.
- Promoting diversity in recruitment. This includes writing job postings that encourage women applicants by lessening or eliminating male-coded language, having diverse interview panels, and setting diversity goals in recruitment.
- Having open discussions around DEI and addressing potential bias head-on.
- Recognizing the accomplishments and struggles of women in the workplace and tech industry through our annual International Women’s Day online event and social media throughout Women’s History Month. Check out our events page to attend the next International Women’s Day online celebration.
Read Alyssa Morrell, Global Human Resources Manager, OnActuate’s interview on attracting more women to the tech industry.
OnActuate believes in a tech industry free of discrimination, bias, and an unwarranted negative workplace culture. By uplifting women, we not only allow women to be heard but we create an inclusive environment that fosters more collaboration, innovation, diversity, and excellence.
If this sounds like the type of work culture that resonates with you, then we invite you to apply for our open positions today.